badge

OK Kanmani - Movie Review

Photo credit


My Rating - 3.8 / 5

I was waiting for a rom-com for quite a while and that was when I saw the colourful yet elegant trailer of this movie. And the movie also seems to offer mesmerizing music, pointed dialogues and incredible cinematography. I grabbed the ticket as soon as the bookings opened, without wasting any further time. It was an ordinary yet usual light-hearted, romantic movie, which was made an extraordinary movie because of two things, exceptional music and an inventive cinematography. And of course the casting!  

Alright, let’s get started. Story, Screenplay, Music and Performance on the cards, as you know. Here we go then!

What makes you stay seated?

Music was the first best thing that I would like quote here. Musical Wizard A R Rahman came up with yet another enthralling album, especially capturing the youngsters. Not only the songs but also the background composition that scored high on cards. Most importantly, it went very well along with each and every visual, arousing the romantic touch. Theera ula was my personal favourite in the album.

Casting has been another advantage with the movie. The lead pair Dulquer Salman and Nithya Menon was young as well as energetic, followed by the old pair Prakash Raj and Leela Samson. Both of them have performed exceptionally well.  

Screenplay was another value addition in the movie which had some twist and turns. Being a light hearted romantic movie, you can’t expect much twist as it may play spoilsport in the entire plot. The arrival of Aathi's (Dulquer) brother along with his family to Mumbai and Bhavani’s absence (Leela Samson) towards the end was very nicely depicted. Cinematography by PC Sriram was a visual retreat for the viewers. He simply played with his camera angles, trying different shot under various lighting conditions. Whatever he tried, it was visually brilliant on screen. Just for his camera work, I would watch the movie again. Such an astonishing cinematography.

What would have been better?

The story was nice, but not refreshing. It was cool but not clear. May be that should have been better. Characterisation of the two young lead pair was introduced as if they were against marriage, which was nice with supporting dialogues and visuals. But the way it ended was not appealing. I felt it as a perfect ending for the viewers but not for the movie by itself.

Apart from that, I didn’t find anything that turns you off.

Bottomline

It is a musical ride with colourful yet beautiful visuals.

My Rating 

Story - 2 / 5
Screenplay – 3.5 / 5
Music - 5 / 5
Performance - 4.5 / 5
OK Kanmani - Movie Review OK Kanmani - Movie Review Reviewed by Gowthama Rajavelu on 17:39 Rating: 5

16 comments:

  1. Great review....Will surely check out its songs... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do check it Neha. You will love it. If possible try video songs, because you can enjoy and experience the romantic feel if you watch it.

      Delete
  2. I had not seen the film but from reviews I think the story is from "Friends with Benefits"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wont say this movie is a Tamil version of Friends with Benefits as there are so many changes. Initially it started like that but later on it went on just to please Indian audience.

      Delete
  3. AR Rahman music is a very alluring factor. Seems like a different genre than I am used to.. I did like friends with benefits though. This one I am not really sure. it might be interesting to give it a try : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, he is a genius! Give it a try for him and PC's mesmerizing visuals.

      Delete
  4. Nice review... Worth watching!!! ARR and PCS's role is commendable..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I just loved the visuals.. It was like painting. All hail PC..

      Delete
  5. Isn't this another movie in which Dulquer Salmaan runs away/moves from his home for the "n"th time? :D I will watch this one later ;)
    Btw, your "What would have been better" is like what I expected :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from his Bangalore days I haven't watched any of his movies in Malayalam so I don't know about that. This is his second movie in Tamil, his first one was very refreshing one that came last year.

      Gotcha, you got it right man!

      Delete
  6. I will watch if I get the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch it before it is pushed out of the theaters Indrani. Kamalhasan's Uttama Villain on the way!

      Delete
  7. Not an extraordinary movie but is definitely worth a watch. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the movie. Here is my review. Share if you like
    https://itsthrill.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/ok-kanmani-review/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice review Tom, I went through your review and also left the comment. Btw thanks for dropping by and sharing your opinion. Keep visiting and happy blogging :)

      Delete

© Creatikaa. Powered by Blogger.